The ISTJ personality type is loyal, logical, and responsible. The primary function of the ISTJ is introverted sensing, which means they like things to be quantifiable. The auxiliary function is extraverted thinking, so they will willingly speak if only is to be presented; otherwise, the ISTJ will remain silent. They work with facts and take a methodical approach towards solving problems. They will go above and beyond to complete any task assigned, even if it puts them in danger. They have a firm understanding of what is right and wrong within their areas of responsibility, which allows them to be highly dedicated workers.
- Value tradition, security, and peaceful living
- Will work long and hard to fulfill duties
- Can be depended on to follow through on tasks
- Loyal and faithful
- Stable, practical and down-to-earth
- Dislike doing things which don’t make sense to them
- Dislike abstract theory, unless they see the practical application
- Natural leaders
- Prefer to work alone, but work well in teams when necessary
- Extremely observant, they take in facts via their senses and store them internally
- Vast, rich inner store of facts which they rely on to understand problems which
they encounter in their lives
- Profound respect for facts and concrete information
- Make decisions objectively, applying logic and rational thinking
- Dislike change, unless they are shown it’s benefit in a concrete way
- Have strong opinions about the way things should be done
- Appreciate structured, orderly environments
- Have very high standards for their own behavior and the behavior of others
- Not naturally in-tune with other people’s feelings
- Able to accomplish almost anything if they put their minds to it
- Community minded “good citizens”
ISTJ Strengths & Weakness
ISTJs would rather see consistency in people, as seeing others keep up their ends of the bargain can be extremely frustrating. They generally keep to themselves until approached. Nevertheless, ISTJs will not try to appeal to someone else’s opinions, they would rather be truthful than tactful (Butt “ISTJ”).
Logical and practical
Orderly and organized
Tends to blame others
ISTJ Career Paths
Those with an ISTJ personality type excel in occupations that need order, organization and endurance. Roles involving working with factual data and figures (think accounting, library science or computer programming) are particularly well-suited to ISTJs. meanwhile, positions requiring veracity, obeisance to regulation and work-life balance usually have lots of appeal for people with this personality type.
- Law Enforcement
- Business Analyst
Dealing With ISTJ's
Friendships: People with the ISTJ personality type usually get along best with friends who are similar to them. Although they tend to be quite serious and follow rules strictly, they still like having fun occasionally. They may not always be willing to try new things but you can help them by suggesting hobbies and activities that you know appeal to their interests.
Parenting: If you are an ISTJ parent, then your focus is likely on tradition and maintaining a secure household for your children. Your kids can expect to be treated with fairness and respect; actions which you in turn will also school them to display.
Relationships: If you’re in a relationship with an ISTJ, it may seem like they never show any emotion, but that’s not always the case. They internalize their feelings and struggle to express them openly, so don’t expect them to share everything with you right away. It can be challenging dating an ISTJ because they sometimes make decisions without taking your feelings into consideration, but if you calmly explain your logic and reasoning behind why you feel a certain way, they’ll be more likely to listen and understand where you’re coming from.
Working with ISTJ's
- Do not expect an ISTJ to be tactful; always expect the truth.
- Offer constructive criticism, they are always willing to improve upon something.
- Show the same devotion as ISTJs do; they value their commitments.
- Talk through a problem with the ISTJ.
Famous people with ISTJ
Famous ISTJs include
- Queen Elizabeth II
- Harry Truman
- Warren Buffett
- Queen Victoria
- George H.W. Bush
- J.D. Rockefeller