Diabetes is a serious disease that impacts many people around the world. Over the last few decades, there have been a lot more people with diabetes. This is only getting worse. It’s time to take action! In this article, we’ll discuss how chocolate can be beneficial for people with diabetes.
- 1 Can A Person With Diabetes Eat Chocolates?
- 2 Conclusion
- 3 A Word From MantraCare
Can A Person With Diabetes Eat Chocolates?
If a person with diabetes eats chocolates, it should be in moderation. Some people who have diabetes type II may benefit from eating dark chocolate that has at least 70% cacao content. Dark chocolate can help people with high blood pressure and heart disease. It can lower the risk of cardiac arrest by lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
How Can It Be Beneficial?
- Cacao has been used to treat diabetes in traditional medicine systems such as Ayurveda. It also helps control the blood sugar levels in diabetic patients.
- Chocolate is good for people with diabetes because it makes their insulin lower, which can lead to high blood pressure.
- A type of chocolate called cacao can be eaten as dark chocolate or cocoa powder by people with diabetes.
- People with diabetes can also have chocolate in the mornings. It will help them.
What Are The Side Effects?
- Dark chocolate contains a lot of fat, sugar, and calories. If you eat too much of it, you can gain weight. Too much consumption of dark chocolate can make a person gain weight.
- It can make you feel sick to eat too much chocolate.
- Some dark chocolates contain caffeine. This can make you feel restless or cause insomnia if eaten too close to bedtime. It’s recommended to limit your consumption of dark chocolate to just one serving before bedtime.
How to Pick a Good Dark Chocolate for Healthy Blood Sugar Levels?
- When choosing dark chocolate, find out the cacao content of the product. Chocolate with a high percentage of cacao helps diabetic patients. It is better than chocolate with a low percentage.
- You should try to find chocolates that use natural sugar substitutes such as stevia and erythritol instead of refined sugars. This way you will not get sick and may not gain weight.
- Chocolate can be diabetic-friendly. It should have no more than six grams of sugar per serving. This is the same amount of sugar that is recommended for people who have diabetes.
- Dark chocolate bars are usually in servings that are 2-5 pieces. There is sugar in them.
- It is not good to eat chocolates that contain artificial ingredients and hydrogenated oils. It can make you sick.
Diabetes-Friendly Ideas for Enjoying Dark Chocolate
A diabetic can enjoy a few squares of dark chocolate as part of their regular diet. You can make treats with dark chocolate and other healthy ingredients that are good for you.
Here are some recipes for making delicious chocolates at home:
What you’ll need:
- One tablespoon of coconut oil
- Two tablespoons of cocoa powder or dark chocolate chips.
- You can also use dairy-free chocolate chips such as Enjoy Life brand if desired. Make sure they do not contain any refined sugars and other unhealthy ingredients, especially hydrogenated oils and artificial sweeteners.
- Three to four drops of peppermint essential oil
- One tablespoon of shredded unsweetened coconut or chia seeds for rolling. You can also use finely chopped nuts instead if desired.
How to make it:
- Mix the ingredients together in a bowl. Put them in the microwave. Cook for two minutes on high power.
- Stir well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Using a spoon, scoop out small portions of the mixture and roll them into balls with your hands.
- Place shredded coconut or chia seeds on a plate. Coat the sides of each ball in it. Place them on parchment paper to set for about an hour or so at room temperature.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Chocolate-Covered Banana Ice Cream
What you’ll need:
- You will need two to three bananas that are ripe. One can freeze them for at least six hours or overnight before using the frozen bananas in the recipe.
- You can also use store-bought dairy-free vanilla ice cream instead if desired. Make sure it does not contain any refined sugars.
- one cup of dark chocolate chips or cocoa powder for making your own dairy-free chocolate. Make sure they do not contain any refined sugars, hydrogenated oils, artificial sweeteners, etc.
- coconut oil if needed to thin out the mixture when blended together in a food processor/blender.
- You can also use almond milk instead or skip this step if desired.
How to make it:
- Put the bananas and vanilla ice cream in a food processor with chocolate chips.
- You can also add in coconut oil here as needed to thin out the mixture when blended together well until smooth.
- If you want to avoid using coconut oil, just add in a few tablespoons of almond milk instead.
- Mix all the ingredients together until everything is blended smoothly and combined well.
- Spoon out two heaping tablespoons worth of mixture into each mini paper cupcake liner or small bowl, and make sure it’s lined with parchment paper.
- You can also use larger cups/bowls if desired as long as they are lined beforehand.
- Place the filled chocolate cups back into your freezer for at least one hour before serving them up!
- Store your leftovers in your fridge. If you have food, put it inside an airtight container or plastic bag. Then you can eat it later.
Vegan Chocolate-Covered Strawberries
What you’ll need:
- One pint of fresh strawberries to use as the coating for this recipe. Make sure they are organic and pesticide/herbicide-free if possible! If you want special berries, you can buy them from your local farmer’s market or coop.
- You will need a little bit of melted coconut oil, almond milk, or other nut butter to make the mixture easier to blend. You can skip using any additional ingredients here by just melting down dark chocolate chips instead if desired. This is optional. If you want, mix up the dark chocolate and milk chocolate together in a bowl before dipping each strawberry into it.
- You will need some dark chocolate chips, cocoa powder to make a dairy-free version of it, or organic vegan hard candies to dip each strawberry in. Don’t put sugar, fats, or artificial sweeteners in your food!
How to make them:
- Take strawberries that have been washed and their stems cut off, then dried. Use them in this recipe.
- Put these fresh berries on a plate or cutting board with all the other ingredients.
- You can dip your chocolate-covered strawberries in something like dark chocolate chips (for a dairy-free version), cocoa powder (for a vegan version), or organic hard candies.
- Afterward, turn them over to dip into whatever ingredients that were not used on the other side like before.
- Put each berry on a piece of paper and put it in the fridge if you want.
- You can eat these chocolates right away. You will enjoy them more if you share them with friends and family members who also like chocolate.
- There are many different flavors you can try out on this recipe. You are free to mix and match whatever you want!
Drawbacks of Eating Chocolate
- Eating too much chocolate can cause weight gain due to its high-calorie count.
- Chocolate is very acidic. It causes tooth enamel erosion over time when eaten often or in large amounts at a time.
- Unsweetened dark chocolate has caffeine and theobromine. They are things that make you feel more awake. Some people might not want these things because they already have lots of energy.
- Don’t eat chocolate or cacao before you go to bed. You will notice this when you can’t sleep. It’s best not to consume any after dinner each night since this could affect your sleep patterns as well!
- Chocolate contains high levels of oxalates that can contribute to kidney stones or gallstones if eaten too often over time.
- Chocolate and coffee beans have very similar amounts of caffeine in them. People who are allergic to either one should not eat the other. It may also cause headaches for some individuals as well.
Best Way to Eat Dark Chocolate
For those out there who absolutely love the taste of rich creamy dark chocolates, you’ll still receive many health benefits from eating them but only in moderation each day since they do contain calories after all (just like any other food). If you eat the wrong foods, you might get sick. Make sure you eat the right amount of food and stay healthy.
Instead of eating these chocolate bars by themselves, try adding other healthy ingredients to them so they are more good for you. If you add a little bit of cinnamon, chili pepper, or other spices to dark chocolates. It will help the flavor. It will also be healthier. This type of mixture could make great spicy hot cocoa drinks. When you mix it with water, it is hot and good for you. Enjoy getting creative here once again when preparing your own special flavor of dark chocolates every time!
Organic coconut oil is good for the body. It has healthy fats that are good for you. Adding it to these recipes will help make them healthy too because organic coconut oil contains these healthy fats. Coconut oil is my favorite ingredient to use when cooking or baking. This recipe calls for the same thing, so you can add more if you want. But don’t go overboard because then you will eat too many calories each day. It can be added to cocoa powder and other sweeteners like maple syrup. That makes a tasty combination all by itself. Dark covered fruit pieces make wonderful snack choices too!
Chocolate is good food for people with diabetes. It can have bad side effects if you eat too much of it, but if you keep it to a healthy amount every day. Some people may feel sick and have pain in their stomachs after eating too much chocolate. So eat a small amount of dark chocolate at one time.
Cacao is high in antioxidants and caffeine. Cacao also has oxalates that can contribute to kidney stones or gallstones if eaten too often over time. An excess of chocolate may lead to weight gain. It is important that diabetics who eat a lot of chocolate watch their carbohydrate intake because the sweetness will affect how quickly their blood sugar levels change. Cacao is an excellent source of magnesium and iron, but many people do not get enough on a daily basis.
Dark chocolate is good. Some people have sensitivities to it that can cause anxiety or headaches, but not everyone does. Anyone allergic to coffee should avoid both dark chocolates and chocolate-covered coffee beans. Caffeine in products can make people feel different. It does something to the brain and nervous system for people who drink it.
A Word From MantraCare
If you are looking for more information on this topic or on Diabetes treatment, Online Therapy, Hypertension, PCOS treatment, Weight Loss, and Physiotherapy, please visit mantracare.org or feel free to reach out to us at +91-9711118331 or email at [email protected]. You can also download our free Android App or IOS app.
Here at Mantra Care, we have an incredibly skilled team of health care professionals and coaches who will be happy to answer any questions and provide further information so you know what’s best for your unique needs.