Double Standards in Relationships Test
Relationships are important in life. We all want to be loved and valued by another person. It is also common for double standards to exist in relationships. Where one partner will do something that the other partner would never do. Double standards can create problems in a relationship. When both partners aren’t willing to compromise or negotiate about their double standards with each other. In this blog post, we will discuss double standards and how they impact relationships. As well as some strategies you can use to address double standard issues in your relationship!
- 1 What are Double Standards In Relationship
- 2 What Is A Double Standard in Relationship Test
- 3 Conclusion
- 4 A Word From Mantra Care
What are Double Standards In Relationship
Double standards are generally unfair expectations placed on members of a group.
In relationships, double standards often imply that one partner is held to different. Usually lower, standards than their other half. These double standards can be found in all types of romantic relationships. From child custody battles and divorced parents’ rights towards children to the way women are treated by men versus how men treat women in general (i.e., catcalling or “manspreading”).
As most people would agree (at least on an intellectual level), double standards come from ignorance about how others will react or feel towards certain actions versus our feelings/reactions.
How Double Standards Destroy Relationships
There are some inequalities in a relationship that can destroy the double standards in relationships. They may leave both people feeling unappreciated.
Double standards exist everywhere. However, the way we live now means that equality between men and women should be more prevalent than ever before — but it’s not always the case! While many double standards have faded away over time (such as marriage becoming a choice for both sexes).
There are still some inequalities that crop up every day which need addressing if you want your romantic life to continue without any problems or tension. Everyone deserves respect. This is one of those things everyone knows deep down inside themselves but sometimes fails to act upon. double standards in relationships can be one of the most important things to overcome.
Some Double Standards in Relationships
Here are some major double standards which can occur in a relationship –
- Make fun of clothing choice – You can’t choose your partner’s clothes for them. Making fun of someone else’s clothing choice could make the person feel inferior or embarrassed.
- Rules about who to hang out with – You can’t be friends with who you want to. This is the reason why most men tend to be single as they have a fear that the woman they will get in a controlling relationship.
- Only one person initiating the first moves – Double standards in relationships always expect one of you to initiate everything but never do the same themselves.
- Always being expected to pay – People are not happy with picking up the tab entirely. This is an example of double standards where only men had been paying for dates and everyone else has also changed their views on who should foot the bill some time ago.
- Unequal gaslighting – Double standards relationships can also be found in terms of gaslighting. Where one person is more at fault than the other. Double standards always make one party shoulder most of the blame and this will cause resentment which inevitably leads to a breakup or argument.
- Always being right in arguments – Some people believe that men should always be dominant during an argument but women should allow themselves to become victims instead. This type of behavior only causes tension which inevitably leads to broken bonds or even worse. So surely no relationship deserves such treatment from anybody.
- Career choice – Double standards relationships appear in many areas. One of which is a woman’s career choice. This type of behavior will make the man feel inferior and can even lead to arguments about money or jealousy. If they don’t approve of their partner’s job choices.
- Demanding disclosure on finances – It seems that men are often more strict about money than women which can cause problems within a relationship. Double standards relationships always expect the man to be stricter with regards to who they spend their money on or what they do, etc.
- Not apologizing wholeheartedly- People nowadays tend to apologize just because someone else thinks their behavior was wrong. Even if you didn’t do anything wrong in the first place. double standards relationships always expect women to apologize more than men which is unfair!
Drawbacks Of Double Standards In Relationship
A person may feel the following while being in a double standard relationship :
- Conflicted and confused on what to do. If they do not, then their partner may feel betrayed or hurt by them.
- A person may feel trapped as they no longer want to continue the relationship but they do not have the guts to leave.
- One may feel a variety of emotions like anger hurt sadness, frustration, etc. based on how they are treated in the relationship.
- A person may feel they’re walking on thin ice as they do not want to trigger their partner by saying something wrong.
- They may feel they are not good enough as they are constantly criticized despite the efforts one puts into the relationship.
- One may feel anxious about the relationship and their partner’s feelings towards them.
- A person may feel alienated and lonely in the relationship as they are not getting what they want out of it.
What Is A Double Standard in Relationship Test
This is a test that you can do with your partner to see if they are living up to their promise of equality. It involves just asking yourself some simple questions about the double standards in relationships.
This may be something like “if I was dating someone else, would my boyfriend/girlfriend think it’s okay?” or “if someone told me what my significant other does now, how would I feel?” These are very basic but effective ways for identifying where there might be problems within your relationship and minimizing them as much as possible by addressing these issues directly.
Who Should Take This Test
This test is for people who have double standards in relationships. One can take this test alone or with their significant other. This test may help assess the person if they hold double standards in a relationship or not. These tests are usually free of cost or the test maker may charge a very negligible amount. But before making any assumptions. Consult mental healthcare professional.
How often do you treat others the way you want to be treated? You not only live by a double standard when you expect more from others than they do from you, but you’re also a bore and a pain in the back. Here are some questions –
How often do you spend time with each other?
Do you apologize for your relationship?
Do you trust your spouse and give him or her the benefit of the doubt?
Do you complement each other?
How often do you side with your for your partner?
Some More Sample Questions
Do you pay attention to your partner?
How often do you accept responsibility for your decisions?
When you make a mistake. Do you say anything like, “I was wrong?”
How often do you criticize your partner?
Do you always initiate the first move?
Results And Interpretation
The results determine if you or your partner has double standards in the relationship. However, one should not base any assumption on this test. One can always talk to their partner if they have any problems going on. One can also try therapy and talk to a mental health professional.
How To Avoid Double Standards In Relationships
Here are some tips on how people can avoid double standards in relationships.
The first and foremost thing one can do is communicate with their partner. It is important to explain your point of view and what you expect from them. This can avoid unnecessary conflicts as well as lead to a relationship that’s healthy for both parties. They may understand each other better and do not hold different views conflicting with one another. Thus leading to double standards in relationships.
Stop Holding Grudges
Second, you should stop holding grudges against your significant other because this might affect the dynamics of the relationship too. This may only end up creating more problems down the road when it comes to trust-building. Even dealing with conflict if communication has broken down between two people who are life partners. However, they may keep on having these double standards issues coming out all over again. Such as complaining about everything they do and not taking responsibility for their actions.
Be Assertive, Not Aggressive
Third, be assertive and don’t let your partner walk all over you. there’s a difference between being assertive and being aggressive so know the line that separates one from another to have better communication with them as well as not falling into double standards issues such as always taking their blame when something goes wrong but never giving credit where it is due which will lead to resentment down the road. make sure they respect you.
Fourth, be mindful of what you say because this can also create misunderstandings or even hurt feelings if someone uses sarcasm for instance when they are trying to joke around but end up sounding harsh instead of making their significant another feel like an idiot who doesn’t get any humor at all despite there being some irony involved here in certain situations.
If none of the tips mentioned above can help you. One can always try couples therapy to help them understand each other better. This may break the double standards in relationships they might be having.
Double standards in relationships are a major issue. You may be in surprise to learn that heterosexual males have been found to report more sexual partners than any other group, and yet when it comes time for the woman to do so she is perceived as promiscuous or slutty.
The double standard of men being seen as “players” while women are labeled with negative descriptors such as “slut,” needs to stop because it’s not fair and doesn’t accurately represent what goes on in our society today. If you’re looking for help understanding this phenomenon. We can offer insight into how these biases affect your marketing strategy and provide advice on how best to address them by considering gender equity practices.
A Word From Mantra Care
Your mental health — your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At Mantra Care, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can take our mental health test. You can also book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.