Body scanning meditation is an easy to learn and simple way to meditate. It can be practiced by beginners and experienced meditators alike! In this post, we will discuss what it is, why you should practice it when you should practice it, how to do it, the benefits of practicing body scan meditation as well as a conclusion for those who are just reading this article.
- 1 What Is Body Scanning Meditation?
- 2 Why To Practice Body Scanning Meditation?
- 3 When To Practice Body Scanning Meditation?
- 4 How To Practice Meditation?
- 5 Benefits Of Body Scanning Meditation
- 6 Conclusion
- 7 A Word From Mantra Care
What Is Body Scanning Meditation?
Body scanning meditation is a type of mindfulness meditation. Mindfulness meditations are popular methods for stress management and other mental health benefits. Such as reducing anxiety and depression symptoms.
Body scanning involves focusing your attention on each part of the body, in turn, to develop conscious awareness of bodily sensations while trying not to focus on any discursive or conceptual thoughts that may arise.
Why To Practice Body Scanning Meditation?
One of the benefits of body scanning meditation is that it can help us to become more aware of our bodies and physical sensations. This increased awareness can then lead to a greater understanding and acceptance of our thoughts and feelings, as well as promoting better self-care habits.
When To Practice Body Scanning Meditation?
Body scanning meditations can be practiced at any time of day. As well as to help you unwind before bed. However, if you are looking for a daily meditation practice that will increase your awareness and mindfulness throughout the day. Then this is best done in the morning or after work/before going home from work.
How To Practice Meditation?
The key to body scanning meditation is simply being present. The mind will wander, but the aim of this practice is not to stop thoughts coming up or push them out. But instead, bring your attention back when you realize it has wandered off and return it to whatever part of the body you are focusing on at that time.
Instructions To Practice Body Scanning Meditation
- Sit in a comfortable position with your spine straight, or recline comfortably if you wish.
- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths to relax.
- Focus your attention on the sensations of the breath as it moves in and out of the body.
- When you notice that your attention has drifted away from the breath, gently refocus on it.
Continue to do this for as long as is needed until your mind feels relaxed and focused again.
Benefits Of Body Scanning Meditation
On Mental Health
- Decreases depression symptoms such as sadness, fatigue, insomnia, or loss of interest by increasing serotonin levels in the brain.
- Improves concentration and focus which is essential for overall mental health recovery.
- Promotes relaxation and calmness after a long day.
- Reduces stress levels to keep you healthy in the long term.
On Physical Health
- Increases awareness of your body’s sensations to promote better self-care habits.
- Helps to reduce stress levels, which can improve overall physical health.
- May help regulate blood pressure due to less stress in the body.
- Can help improve conditions such as chronic pain, headaches, asthma, and heart disease
- Promotes relaxation which is beneficial for the body’s overall healing process.
On Emotional Health
- Allows you to become more aware of your thoughts and feelings which can lead to a greater understanding and acceptance.
- Can help you healthily manage difficult emotions.
- Teaches how to deal with stressful situations calmly and mindfully.
On Spiritual Health
- Can help connect you with your inner peace and intuition.
- Helps promote a sense of calmness, stillness, and oneness within the body and mind.
- Can be used as a form of prayer or contemplation.
Body scanning meditation is a versatile practice that can offer benefits to all aspects of our health – mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual. It is a simple but powerful practice that can benefit us greatly if done regularly. Especially through increased awareness of bodily sensations. It is a simple practice that can be done anywhere, at any time. If you have not tried it before, we highly recommend giving it a go. You may be surprised by the benefits you experience.
A Word From Mantra Care
Your mental health — your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At Mantra Care, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can take our mental health test. You can also book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.