Some people believe that horses can heal humans, equine therapy is a type of animal-assisted therapy. Equine therapy is a type of treatment that is given to people to improve their mental health by using horses. The goal is for the person receiving treatment to improve their quality of life by developing friendships with animals. They can also learn new skills through interactions with them.
- 1 What Is Equine Therapy?
- 2 Types Of Equine Therapy
- 3 Who Can Try Equine Therapy?
- 4 How Does Equine Therapy Help?
- 5 Benefits Of Equine Therapy
- 6 Drawbacks Of The Equine Therapy
- 7 Conclusion
- 8 A Word From Mantra Care
What Is Equine Therapy?
When one thinks of therapy, they probably think about sitting across from their therapist and talking through issues. This is not always the case for those who are looking to better themselves or improve certain aspects of their life. Instead, some turn to equine therapy as a form of treatment. It may seem like horses can’t help humans, but this is wrong. Horses can help humans to feel better. They can heal both their body and their feelings.
Equine therapy is a form of treatment that uses horses as therapists. The horse is a non-judgmental and forgiving animal, which makes it the perfect partner for people who are working through emotional or behavioral issues. Horses know how to read people’s emotions. They can help people who need help with this.
Types Of Equine Therapy
There are a few different types of equine therapy, such as:
Hippotherapy can be defined as special sensory-motor activities (SSMAs). Specialized interventions are designed to help people with disabilities. These interventions work through the senses, like touch.SMEs are the senses that we have. They are vision, inner ear, touch or feeling, position sense, hearing, and smell. Benefits for people with disabilities often include improvement in gross and fine motor skills, sensory processing, communication, posture, and balance.
How Do Hippotherapy Benefit People with Disabilities?
- The movement of the horse provides a unique experience that can make you stronger, more balanced, and coordinated. It can also help your heart. Horses are good for people who have disabilities.
- The repetitive motion of the horse’s gait helps to improve muscle tone and coordination. In addition, the horse’s movement stimulates the vestibular system (inner ear), which is responsible for balance and coordination. Hair, skin, mane, and tail are what horses have. They also have sensory receptors on their skin that are stimulated when you touch them. The sound of a horse’s hooves hitting the ground can help people understand better how the ear works. Finally, the smell of hay and manure provides olfactory input to the brain, which can improve olfactory processing.
- Hippotherapy is an effective intervention for people with disabilities and has been shown to provide a number of benefits. In a study by Hickey et al. (2013), participants who received hippotherapy showed improvement in gross motor skills, balance, and posture.
Therapeutic riding is a way for people to use horses. Horseback riding can help people with disabilities in many ways. For example, it helps them do things like move better and feel happier. It is believed that therapeutic riding can work because of the various ways in which it benefits people.
Benefits Of Therapeutic Riding
The benefits of Therapeutic Riding are, as follows:
Therapeutic riding has been found to provide physical benefits for people with disabilities. These benefits include:
- Improved balance and coordination
- Increased muscle strength and flexibility
- Improved breathing and heart rate
- Additionally, therapeutic riding can help reduce pain in people with conditions such as arthritis and fibromyalgia
Therapeutic riding has also been shown to provide emotional benefits for people with disabilities. These benefits include:
- Improved self-esteem,
- Reduced anxiety and depression
- Increased social interaction
Therapeutic riding has also been very beneficial to provide cognitive benefits for people with disabilities. These benefits include:
- Improved focus and attention,
- Enhanced problem-solving skills
- Improved communication skills
All of these benefits work together to help people with disabilities improve their quality of life. Therapeutic riding is a safe and effective way to do this. If you want to improve the life of someone you love, therapeutic riding may be the answer.
The carriage driving activity is a type of therapy that helps people who have experienced physical or neurological injuries. The repetitive and rhythmic motion of the horse’s walk helps to improve movement and balance, while also providing a sense of connection with nature. For many people, carriage driving becomes a passion that provides them with a sense of independence and accomplishment.
Benefits of Carriage Driving
There are many benefits to carriage driving, including:
- Improved balance and movement
- Sense of independence and accomplishment
- Connection with nature
- Stress relief
- Improved moods
Who Can Try Equine Therapy?
If you want to try equine therapy then the person should:
- The person should have an interest in horses – They do not need to be an expert on horses, but it’s important that they enjoy being around them and are not scared of them.
- They should be able to follow instructions – This means that people will be able to listen carefully to what their therapist tells them and work on goals set for them.
- The person shouldn’t be afraid of horses – If they are, then it’s important that they can stay calm around them.
If a person does not meet these qualifications, then they might not be the best for equine therapy.
How Does Equine Therapy Help?
There are many ways in which equine therapy can help people, such as:
- Equine therapy can help people with Physical Disabilities: Horses can help people with physical disabilities to improve their balance, coordination, and strength.
- It can help people with Cognitive Impairments: Horses can help people with cognitive impairments to improve their balance, coordination, and strength.
- Equine therapy can help people with Emotional Issues: Horses can help people with emotional issues to learn how to control their emotions. They can also provide a non-judgmental environment for the person to work through their issues.
- Horses Are Non-Judgmental: One of the best things about horses is that they are non-judgmental. This means that they will not judge the person for anything that they do. They will just accept them for who they are.
- They Offer A Safe Environment: Another great thing about horses is that they offer a safe environment.
Horses have been helping humans for centuries. They are able to read our emotions and provide us with the support we need when we are feeling down.
Benefits Of Equine Therapy
There are many different benefits to equine therapy, such as:
- Horses can help people with physical disabilities improve their balance, coordination, and strength.
- They can help people with cognitive impairments improve their balance, coordination, and strength.
- Horses can help people with emotional issues to learn how to control their emotions. They can also provide a non-judgmental environment for the person to work through their issues.
- Horses are beneficial because they offer a safe and judgment-free environment in which people can heal emotionally or physically.
- Horses have been helping humans for centuries, they are able to read our emotions and provide us with the support we need when we are feeling down.
Drawbacks Of The Equine Therapy
There are many different drawbacks to equine therapy, such as:
- If they are afraid of horses, If they’re scared or intimidated by them, then it’s important that they can stay calm around; them and trust their therapist completely.
- If they are not interested in horses, They don’t necessarily need to be experts on these animals, but it’s important that they enjoy being around them and aren’t scared of them.
- Not everyone who wants to try equine therapy is a good fit for it. If someone doesn’t meet these qualifications, they may want to explore other forms of treatment.
Despite the drawbacks, equine therapy can be an extremely beneficial form of treatment for many people.
If you think equine therapy is the right option for you then, we recommend you to find a facility near your home. The benefits of this type of animal treatment are so many and there is no comparison to any other form of mental health care. If you have been suffering from depression or anxiety or if you have a physical disability, then contact us to find out more about how these horse therapists can help.
A Word From Mantra Care
Your mental health — your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At Mantra Care, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can take our mental health test. You can also book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.