If you’re reading this, then you most likely want to know why it’s worth your time and effort to work. You may be asking yourself: “I don’t want to work. So why should I care about making myself better at my job?”
The answer is simple: Working hard will make you more money. If we think about our personal finance goals, they all boil down to one thing: How much money do we want?
Why Do I Don’t Want To Work?
There are a lot of reasons why people don’t want to work:
- They think they’re too good for it: This is the worst reason of all. If you think it is not good to work a job that does not pay very much, then you will be in trouble. If you don’t go to school, you will miss out on important skills. You won’t be making money.
- They hate their job: It is not a good idea to work when you are stuck in a job that you do not like. It will be hard to do well at your job if you don’t want to work.
- They don’t know what they want: This is another common issue. Many people feel lost after college and do not know what they should do next.
- They think money is evil and one should not earn it through hard labor: This is the most common reason people don’t want to work and it’s a shame. People who think this way miss out on building their character, learning skills that will be needed later in life, and earning money. This money can be used for things like saving up for retirement or buying your first house.
- They’ve never had the opportunity to learn how important working really is in life: This is the least common reason why people don’t want to work. Some people have not been exposed to opportunities where they need to do some hard labor for their money. This lack of exposure can lead them down a bad path in life.
Working isn’t fun, so they’d rather do something that sounds more fun.
People don’t want to work for money because they prefer to use their time on social media or video games. These activities are not as important as food or shelter, which are essential for living.
How can you make yourself care more about your job?
There are a few things you can do to make yourself want to work harder:
- Start by learning about your goals: What do you want to achieve in life? Once you know this, it will be easier to find a job that can help you get there.
- Think about the consequences of not working: If you don’t work, then you will not have any money and you may not have a place to live either. This is something to think about if you are considering not working.
- Get a job you like: This is easier said than done, but it is worth the effort. When you have a job that you enjoy going to every day, it won’t feel like work and you will be more productive.
- Think about what your family would do if you didn’t work: If you don’t work, you won’t be able to help your parents when they get older. This means that they may need to move in with their children and grandchildren instead of living on their own in a house or apartment.
Note: People who do not want to work will find it much harder than people who do care about working hard at jobs that are not their dream job.
This is a shame because people who think this way miss out on building their character, learning skills that will be needed later in life, and earning money. This money can be used for things like saving up for retirement or buying your first house.
Positives Of Wanting To Work Hard
- You will learn important skills that will be needed later in life.
- You will earn money, which can be used for things like saving up for retirement or buying your first house.
- Also, you will build your character and learn how to work hard.
- Your parents and grandparents may live longer if you help them out financially.
Negatives Of Not Wanting To Work
- You will not learn important skills that you might need later in life.
- You may not be able to make money and you might not have enough to live by yourself, so you may end up homeless or living with your parents.
- Your character will lack the work ethic necessary for success in life.
- Your family may need to move in with you because they won’t have enough money for retirement or a house.
What Do Psychologists Have To Say About This?
Some psychologists believe that there is a difference between wanting to work and having to work.
People who want to work hard do so because it satisfies them. Others only care about making money. People in this second group tend not to be as successful later in life when compared with those who want to work hard.
There is a stigma surrounding people who don’t work and it’s time for this to change. We should work together with these people to find solutions. We should not shame them. One solution could be for people without disabilities to volunteer their time and help out those who are struggling financially or emotionally. We can give you more resources, like job training programs. Then you will have more opportunities when looking for jobs. This way, everyone wins!
A Word From Mantra Care
Your mental health — your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
Also, at Mantra Care, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can take our mental health test. You can also book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.