When you think of bragging, what’s the first word that comes to mind? For many people, it would be “arrogant.” Many people are actually afraid to even speak about their accomplishments. It can feel like you’re being arrogant or looking down on others if you talk about your achievements. However, there are also many advantages to boasting! This article discusses both sides of this argument and tries to determine whether bragging is ok.
What Is Bragging?
Bragging is a type of self-promotion or boasting about your accomplishments and qualities. Bragging can be done verbally through conversations with others. It can also be accomplished nonverbally by written messages such as emails and texts. You can even post on social media.
How Do People Brag?
People may brag in different ways.
This can be done through conversations with people or when they talk about themselves a lot to someone else. They make sure that there is no one around except them and the person they are talking to. Sometimes people will get bored of the conversation if it goes on for too long. They might leave. This can also be done when they go on or write a social media post that is bragging in some way.
This could happen if a person acts, moves, dresses, or behaves in a way that makes other people think they are better than them. They may not say anything but their actions show it. This might be hard to notice if someone does not know them well enough or is not paying attention.
Some people could brag without meaning to do it at all
They may think that they are giving other people compliments but in reality, they are bragging about themselves because of the way they deliver the compliment. It makes it sound like they are better than the person they are complimenting.
When it comes to bragging, there are pros and cons to it. On one hand, you can tell people about what other people have done and make them feel good. On the other hand, some people may not like when someone brags a lot. Some people think that person is showing off. People often do it too much when they talk about themselves. It makes other people feel bad, or jealous, or annoyed. It is good to tell other people about what you have done. But don’t do it in a way that sounds like bragging. It is good to talk about things other than yourself.
Pros of Bragging
- It can make you feel better about yourself: If you have something to brag about, then it can make you feel better. It is good when your hard work pays off. People like what you do.
- It is motivating: Talking about what you are doing can make other people want to do the same thing. They will know if it is good or not.
- It is a sign of confidence: People can be good at something and feel really confident about it.
- It builds relationships: When you share bragging rights with someone else, it makes you closer to them because you have something in common.
- Also, it can show off your accomplishments: It is a good way to show off what you have done and what you are capable of.
- It can make others feel good: When you brag about someone else, it makes them feel good.
Cons of Bragging
- Others may not like it: Some people do not like when someone brags because they think that person is bragging too much.
- It can make you look like a show-off: If someone brags too much, it can be annoying. People might not want to talk to them because they don’t want to hear everything about themselves. Some people just do not want bragging in their life at all. They will avoid them if that is how they feel about the person.
- It can make you look unconfident: If someone brags too much, it might mean that they are not confident in what they do. They think their accomplishments need to have more value than other people’s because of the bragging.
- You should talk about yourself as well as others: You cannot just brag all day long or you will lose friends. You need to include other people as well because you should not be self-centered all the time.
- It can make others jealous: If someone brags too much, it can make other people feel bad. It might also cause people to get jealous of what someone else has done or is capable of doing. They may want that same thing for themselves.
- It can make you feel bad about yourself: Bragging too much or bragging even if it is done in a positive way can make someone lose their self-esteem. It may also impact how they view their own accomplishments. They might not see them as good enough because of what other people are saying.
- You will not know what to do if you are asked about it: If someone asks you why you brag so much, then what can you say? Some people might think it is weird how often you brag about something. They could also wonder why they cannot stop doing this or change the way they do it.
- It can be annoying: If someone brags too much, it can get on other people’s nerves and become a problem for them to deal with. Some people might stop listening to you if you tell them too much about yourself. They might want to stop bragging or they will not want anything to do with that person anymore because they talk about themselves a lot.
Is Bragging Ok?
There is no real answer to this question because everyone has their own opinion on it. When you brag, it is good if you do not go too far with it. You can use bragging to talk about things that people like. If you brag about yourself, it can cause problems for you. You should not do that. Bragging about other people is more of a positive thing. It can make them feel better and show you care about what they are doing. It is important to know how to brag without getting into trouble with yourself or other people. This means knowing what is okay and what is not okay. You need to know when someone else does something good, like when they get an A on their test. That way you don’t hurt them by bragging too much about them.
How To Stop Bragging?
If someone is bragging all the time, they should try to stop. It could be annoying if they do not know when to stop. It can be hard to do this because some people might not even realize they are doing it. They may just think they are being friendly. There are a few things that can help someone stop bragging:
- Realize when you are doing it and try to stop yourself from doing it
- Think about how the other person might feel when you do it
- Practice what you can say to brag about other people so that the way you talk sounds better and more positive
Remember, if someone is bragging a lot or too much, they should stop. They need to think about how their words sound before they speak. It might help them not get into trouble with themselves or other people.
You’ve been told that bragging is bad, but the truth is that it’s just misunderstood. Bragging can be a great way to show off your accomplishments and make yourself look good in front of others. When you think about it this way, bragging becomes an excellent self-esteem booster! People know that you are successful when you tell them about it. It might seem like no big deal, but people will see it as a good thing. What do you think? Is bragging ok?
A Word From Mantra Care
Your mental health — your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
Also, at Mantra Care, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can take our mental health test. You can also book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.