Geriatric counseling is an important service that many elderly people need. It can provide comfort and support to those who are experiencing difficulties in their day-to-day lives. The elderly population is growing, so it’s important for geriatric counselors to help meet the needs of these individuals. This blog post will discuss what this type of counseling entails, and how you can find a counselor near you.
- 1 What Are Aging And Geriatric?
- 2 Types
- 3 Geriatric Counseling Techniques
- 4 Cognitive And Mental Health Concerns With Geriatric Counseling
- 5 Factors Affecting Aging And Geriatric Counseling
- 6 Benefits of Geriatric Counseling
- 7 What Is The Importance Of Geriatric Counseling?
- 8 How To Promote Awareness Among People?
- 9 Conclusion
- 10 A Word From Mantra Care
What Are Aging And Geriatric?
Geriatric is an adjective that describes something related to old age and the elderly. The word geriatrics, however, refers specifically to a branch of medicine focused on treating conditions in older adults. Gerontology is another field of study concerned with the health issues facing aging people. it also studies social aspects of aging such as retirement or living arrangements for seniors. Both geriatrics and gerontology are considered sub-fields within internal medicine.
There are different types of geriatric counseling, such as:
- Psychoeducation Geriatric Counseling
- Supportive psychotherapy
Psychoeducation Geriatric Counseling
Psychoeducation geriatric counseling is a type of counseling that focuses on teaching older adults about mental health issues, such as depression and dementia. This type of counseling can help older adults understand these conditions and how to best manage them.
- Older adults who are struggling with mental health issues can benefit from psychoeducation geriatric counseling.
- This type of counseling can help these individuals learn more about their condition and how to manage it.
- Additionally, older adults who have a family member with a mental health issue can also benefit from psychoeducation geriatric counseling.
- This type of counseling can help families learn more about the condition and how to support the loved one who is struggling.
There are no major drawbacks of psychoeducation geriatric counseling, however:
- Some older adults may not be interested in learning about their condition.
- Additionally, some families may find the information provided in psychoeducation geriatric counseling to be overwhelming.
Nevertheless, the benefits of psychoeducation geriatric counseling outweigh any potential drawbacks.
Supportive Psychotherapy Geriatric Counseling
The term “geriatric counseling” is a bit of a misnomer. The geriatric aspect refers not to an age group but to the nature of the problem being addressed. Supportive psychotherapy is appropriate when someone has a condition that becomes more common in the last part of their life. As with any treatment, the first step in supportive psychotherapy is diagnosis-identification of the motivation behind behavior-Then it’s up to you and your therapist together to figure out what to do about it.
Problems Supported By Geriatric Counseling
Geriatric counseling helps with aspects, such as:
- Declines in adaptive abilities like mobility and memory loss
- Physical symptoms like pain or fatigue
- Emotional changes like anxiety or depression
- Social isolation
- Spiritual concerns
Any of these can become obstacles to leading a satisfying life.
People who receive supportive psychotherapy are typically seen only once or twice, for brief periods of time. The success of the approach has to do with its goal: to help people feel better about themselves by reducing the amount of distress they’re experiencing.
There are many potential benefits to supportive psychotherapy geriatric counseling, including:
- Improved mood and outlook on life
- Relief from emotional distress
- Increased feelings of self-worth and mastery
- Better adaptation to physical changes
- Relief from isolation and loneliness
- Strengthened ties with family and friends
- Resolution of spiritual concerns
Cognitive-Behavioral Geriatric Counseling
Cognitive-behavioral geriatric counseling is a form of counseling that helps older adults adjust to changes in their lives. It can help them manage problems such as stress, anxiety, and depression. CBGC also helps older adults stay healthy and active, and connect with their community.
It is based on the idea that how we think (cognition) and how we behave (behavior) affects our emotions. The therapists work with clients to change unhelpful thoughts and behaviors. This can help reduce negative emotions and improve the quality of life.
Advantages of Cognitive-Behavioral Geriatric Counseling
- CBGC is an effective treatment for older adults who are experiencing difficulty managing stress, anxiety, or depression.
- CBGC can help people stay healthy and active, and reduce the isolation that so often accompanies aging.
- Finally, CBGC provides relief from negative emotions without the use of medication.
Geriatric Counseling Techniques
GC therapists work with clients to change unhelpful thoughts and behaviors. This can help reduce negative emotions and improve the quality of life. There are some techniques that GC therapists may use, such as:
- Cognitive Restructuring: This involves changing the way we think about a situation in order to feel better. For example, if we are feeling stressed out, we might change our thoughts to “I can handle this” or “This too shall pass.”
- Behavioral Activation: This can help people who are experiencing depression by increasing their activity levels. A CBGC therapist will work with a client to create a list of enjoyable activities that they can schedule in their daily life. These activities might include going on a nature walk, listening to music, or visiting friends and family.
- Social Skills Training: People may have difficulty connecting with others as they age for a number of reasons. For example, older adults may experience physical changes such as decreased vision and mobility. In social skills training, clients learn how to adapt to these changes in order to communicate more effectively with others.
- Stress Management: Stress is one of the most common emotions felt by older adults as they cope with change. A CBGC therapist will work with a client to develop coping strategies to manage stress.
Cognitive And Mental Health Concerns With Geriatric Counseling
There are cognitive and mental health concerns with Geriatric counseling, such as:
- As people age, they may experience changes in their cognitive and mental health. This can include problems with memory, thinking, and reasoning. It can also involve changes in mood, such as depression or anxiety. It is important to seek help if you are experiencing any changes in your cognitive or mental health.
- A CBGC therapist will be able to provide support and guidance during this time. They will also work with you to develop strategies to manage any difficulties you may be experiencing.
- CBGC provides older adults with a way to adjust to the many changes that come with aging. It can help them stay healthy and active, reduce feelings of isolation, and cope with negative emotions.
- If you are experiencing difficulty managing stress, anxiety, or depression, CBGC may be able to help. A therapist can provide support and guidance as you adjust to changes in your cognitive or mental health, such as memory loss.
Factors Affecting Aging And Geriatric Counseling
There are many factors that affect the aging process, such as:
- Lifestyle choices
- Health care
Many medical conditions people develop as they get an older result from poor habits or other preventable causes such as smoking or lack of exercise.
Benefits of Geriatric Counseling
There are many benefits of Geriatric counseling, such as:
- Helping older adults manage stress, anxiety, and depression without the use of medication;
- Keeping people active and healthy by increasing their activity levels; reducing feelings of isolation through social skills training, and helping them cope with negative emotions.
- Geriatric counseling is a type of counseling that helps elderly people adjust to changes they experience throughout life.
- It focuses on unhelpful thoughts and behaviors that contribute to difficult emotions like stress, anxiety, or depression.
- CBGC therapists will work with a client to develop coping strategies that can help them adjust and cope more effectively.
What Is The Importance Of Geriatric Counseling?
The importance of geriatric counseling cannot be overstated. It provides elderly people with a way to adjust to the many changes that come with aging, such as physical and mental changes.
- It can help them stay healthy and active,
- reduce feelings of isolation,
- and cope with negative emotions.
How To Promote Awareness Among People?
We can promote awareness among people about Geriatric Counseling in many ways, such as:
- It is important to educate people about what geriatric counseling entails.
- Older adults should know that it provides a way for them to adjust and cope with the many changes they experience in their daily lives, such as decreased vision and mobility.
- People who don’t find relief from symptoms like anxiety or depression through medication may benefit from CBGC.
- They can also learn coping strategies that will help them stay healthy and active, reduce feelings of isolation, and manage negative emotions more effectively.
Geriatric counseling is a specialty of psychology that focuses on the challenges aging adults face. The geriatric counselor will work with people in their 50s, 60s, and 70s to help them adjust to the life changes they experience as they age. It’s important for seniors who are struggling with depression or other mental health issues to get treatment before it worsens into something more serious like dementia or another form of cognitive impairment. If you think your loved one may need some geriatric counseling services, contact us.
A Word From Mantra Care
Your mental health — your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At Mantra Care, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can take our mental health test. You can also book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.