In this blog post, we’ll be discussing reboxetine (Edronax), a drug that is used to treat depression. This medication does not have the same side effects as other antidepressants that are on the market. It has been proven to work for many people who suffer from depression. This drug is called reboxetine. It affects your body in this way. If you are interested, read more to decide if it’s right for you.
- 1 What Is Reboxetine (Edronax)?
- 2 Conclusion
- 3 A Word From Mantra Care
What Is Reboxetine (Edronax)?
Reboxetine is an antidepressant that works by increasing the amount of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin plays a key role in emotion, mood, and sleep. Reboxetine belongs to a group called selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). Some antidepressants only affect one neurotransmitter. But the SNRI type affects both. So it has more effects on depression than other types of antidepressants.
The FDA has approved reboxetine for the treatment of depression. It is also used to treat anxiety, as it helps some people with that condition as well.
Uses Of reboxetine (Edronax)
People who suffer from GAD experience excessive worry, tension, fear, and sleep disturbances such as insomnia. They may also feel irritable or restless at times too. Reboxetine helps some people with these issues by increasing serotonin in their brains.
How Does reboxetine work?
We know that when you’re depressed it’s because your life is full of negative feelings including sadness and hopelessness. That can be due to a lack of certain chemicals like serotonin that sends signals between brain cells; this causes emotional pain which makes you feel depressed.
Reboxetine helps you feel better. It makes your mood better and calmer so you can do things. Some antidepressants only increase one or two particular neurotransmitters while others work more broadly. That’s why reboxetine is called an SNRI (serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor). Unlike other medications for depression, this one does not cause sexual side effects like low libido. That means it might be a good choice if you are having problems with your sex drive too.
- You will not get fat from taking Reboxetine, but you might get fat from other medicines.
- Since Reboxetine makes you less tired and drowsy, it is a good choice for people who have trouble with these symptoms from other types of antidepressants.
How Effective Is Reboxetine?
- In a study, people were given either reboxetine or another antidepressant medication. The people who took reboxetine had a lower relapse rate than the people who took the other medication. This indicates that for many people, reboxetine is an effective treatment for depression.
- When taking any type of medication, not everyone will respond to it the same way. If you try reboxetine and do not find that it works for you, then do not give up on modern antidepressant treatments. Plenty more are available that may be suitable if this one is not.
- You can also try reboxetine in combination with other medications to see if it’s effective when taken along with them. There are many different kinds of medicine for depression. There is probably a better one out there than the one your doctor has.
- Reboxetine is an SNRI (serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) and belongs to a class of drugs called selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). These types of antidepressants can help you with depression. When you take antidepressants, they can affect chemicals in your brain. They can help people with depression that affects things other than serotonin. SNRIs affect both of the types of chemicals in your brain that can make you sad. They are better for treating depression than other medicines that only affect one or the other.
Benefits Of Reboxetine
Reboxetine does not have many side effects compared to other antidepressants on the market today. There are more benefits than risks when taking this medication. Here is a list of those benefits:
- Less weight gain and sexual function problems (such as decreased libido): Unlike some antidepressants, reboxetine does not seem to cause weight gain or problems with sexual function.
- Fewer drug interactions: Reboxetine is less likely to interfere with other medications.
- Easier withdrawal: If you stop taking the antidepressant Reboxetine, your body will have an easier time adjusting than if you stopped taking another type of antidepressant.
- Improved energy level: Some people who take reboxetine feel an increase in their energy level.
- Lower risk of feeling tired during the day (reduced somnolence): Reboxetine has been shown to cause less drowsiness than some other antidepressants.
Both men and women who take this drug do not experience any changes in their sex drive.
Reboxetine also has several other benefits that are appealing to most people who suffer from depression or anxiety, including:
- Less risk of suicidal thoughts
- Improved energy level
- Less irritability
- Better concentration
- Ability to feel like yourself (reduced anhedonia)
- More stable mood
- Reduced stress
- Fewer problems with constipation
- Lower risk of feeling tired during the day (reduced somnolence)
Risks Associated With Taking Reboxetine
Just like with any medication, there are some risks associated with taking reboxetine. However, many people find that the benefits of this drug outweigh the risks. Some potential risks include:
- Suicidal thoughts or behaviors: People who take antidepressants are more likely to think about suicide and have suicidal thoughts than people who do not take antidepressants. This is especially true for young people up to the age of 25. If you experience any signs of suicidal thoughts or behavior while taking reboxetine, call your doctor right away.
- Mania (a state where someone feels extremely happy, irritable, or agitated): Reboxetine can cause mania in some people who take it. Mania can make you do dangerous things. If you feel like the medicine is making you have mania, go see a doctor or nurse right away.
- Seizures: Reboxetine has been shown to cause seizures in some people who take it. This risk is higher for those with a history of epilepsy or brain problems such as tumors that affect the central nervous system (CNS). If you have any seizure activity while taking reboxetine, call your doctor immediately.
- Increased sweating and decreased temperature control: Some people sweat more when they start taking reboxetine. They will sweat even more during warmer weather or times of physical exertion. If you get a fever, your body temperature will go up. This is to protect you from sickness. But sometimes people can have a fever and not feel cold because their temperature control goes down.
- Dry mouth: Reboxetine can cause a dry mouth, which can lead to tooth decay or gum disease if not treated. See your dentist regularly for checkups if you are taking this drug.
- Sexual problems: Men and women who take reboxetine may experience sexual problems such as decreased sex drive, difficulty achieving orgasm, or erectile dysfunction.
How To Safely Take Reboxetine?
To reduce the risk of any potential side effects, it is important to take reboxetine safely. Here are some tips on how to do that:
- Take reboxetine exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not increase or decrease the dose without talking to your doctor first.
- Never drink alcohol while taking reboxetine.
- Do not take other medications—including over-the-counter drugs, supplements, and herbal remedies—without talking to your doctor first. This is especially important if you are taking any other medications for depression or anxiety.
- Be careful when driving or operating heavy machinery. Reboxetine may cause dizziness or blurred vision in some people.
- Monitor your mood and symptoms regularly. Talk to your doctor if you notice any changes in how you feel after starting reboxetine.
Who Should Not Take It?
Some people should not take reboxetine. These include:
- Pregnant women: Reboxetine is not safe for use during pregnancy.
- People who are allergic to reboxetine or any of the ingredients in the drug.
- Family with a history of seizures, mania, or liver problems.
People take monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) such as phenelzine (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate), and isocarboxazid (Marplan). If you are taking an MAOI, do not take reboxetine without talking to your doctor first.
How Long Does It Take For It To Work?
It can take several weeks for reboxetine to work. Keep taking the medication as directed, even if you do not see an immediate improvement in your symptoms. You must take it regularly—do not stop taking it without talking to your doctor first. If you stop taking your medicine, you might feel sick. But if you start to take it again slowly, you should be okay.
If you can’t take reboxetine, or if it doesn’t seem to be working well for you, other medications may be an option. Talk to your doctor about these alternatives and find the medication that suits you best. Some of these include:
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as fluoxetine (Prozac), citalopram (Celexa), and sertraline (Zoloft)
- Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) such as venlafaxine (Effexor XR) and duloxetine (Cymbalta)
- Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) such as amitriptyline (Elavil), clomipramine (Anafranil), and desipramine (Norpramin)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), and tranylcypromine (Parnate)
If you do not feel well with the medicine, talk to your doctor about switching to a different antidepressant. There may be other medications that would be a better fit for you. Always consult with your healthcare provider before making any changes to your medication.
- If you stop taking this drug, it is a good idea to start again at a lower dose. This can help with any withdrawal symptoms that happen when you stop the drug. Talk to your doctor before stopping it.
- Some people have more sweat when they are taking this medicine. They sweat more when the weather is warmer or when they are doing physical activities. Decreased body temperature control can happen. You may feel colder than others around you when it is not cold.
- This medicine can make your mouth dry. If you don’t take care of it, it could make your teeth fall out or get very bad. You should see your dentist for checkups if you are taking this drug.
Reboxetine is a selective noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor. The drug is effective as an antidepressant as other drugs, but it is not as good for people who have depression and anxiety. The drug may also help with other problems. For example, it may help people who have OCD, social phobia, panic attacks, and PTSD. However, its efficacy in these conditions remains unclear due to the lack of study data. It should only be prescribed by doctors who are qualified to do so. If your doctor does not prescribe it, then there might be some bad side effects.
A Word From Mantra Care
Your mental health — your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At Mantra Care, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can take our mental health test. You can also book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.