What is a narcissistic relationship? Is it the same as an abusive relationship? To answer these questions, let’s take a closer look at what narcissism is. Narcissists are people who have an inflated sense of self-importance and entitlement. They need constant admiration from others to feel good about themselves. Some people don’t care about other people. They think that they are better than other people because they think a lot of themselves. Narcissistic relationships are found in friends, family, and work. A person might be the boss or have more power. The article will talk about if you are in a relationship with someone who has narcissistic traits. There are some things that people do that show they might be like this.
What Is A Narcissistic Relationship?
A narcissistic person is someone who likes to be at the center of attention and thinks they deserve a lot. The other person in a relationship with them might have to put up with this because they want to stay in the relationship. Narcissists need to be admired by other people. They think they are better than other people. Narcissistic relationships can be found in friendships, family, and work relationships. The person with the narcissistic traits might have more power in the relationship.
There are some things that people do in relationships with someone who has narcissistic traits.
Traits Of A Narcissistic Relationship
Some common traits of a narcissist are:
- Feeling entitled: They think they are better than other people and deserve special treatment. We should be nice to them, no matter who they are or what their status is in our life.
- Needing to be the center of attention: They like to be the center of attention and have people admire them.
- Being charming: Narcissists are often very charming with other people. This is part of their need for admiration. People can’t see that they are being used by narcissists because they act in a way that makes you like them right away. It’s hard to think someone you like is using you.
- Having a lack of empathy: Narcissists don’t care about how their actions or words might affect other people. They are only worried about themselves and what makes them look good.
- Being critical: Narcissists can be very critical of others, especially if they feel like they are being slighted in any way.
- Needing constant praise: Narcissistic people need to have other people tell them they are great. Sometimes, they get upset and angry if you don’t compliment them.
- Trouble keeping healthy relationships: Sometimes people will leave their partner and go to another one. They do this because they can’t make their partner happy for a long time. They might also end up with someone who is a lot like them, another narcissist.
- Feeling superior to others: Narcissists often feel superior to others and think they are the smartest, best-looking, and most talented people around.
- Having a fragile ego: A narcissist’s ego is very fragile. They can’t take any criticism or not be the center of attention. If someone doesn’t act like they want to be around them then they will lash out.
- Believing they are special and unique: Narcissists believe they are special and unique. They may even think that no one else is like them or can do the same things as well as they can.
- Needing constant admiration: Narcissists need constant admiration and attention. They can’t stand to be the center of attention all the time.
- Taking advantage of other people: Narcissistic people take advantage of their friends. They want more power in a relationship.
Having any combination of these traits can make up a narcissist. If someone has three or more, it is diagnosed as a narcissistic personality disorder. Not everyone with narcissistic traits is a diagnosed narcissist.
Causes Of Narcissistic Relationship
The cause of narcissistic personality disorder is not clear. Many things can lead to it, such as genetics and upbringing. People with low self-esteem in their childhood often have high expectations from other people. They need constant praise to feel good about themselves. Some people grow out of the behavior by adulthood, but some do not.
People do not become narcissists out of the blue. They may have had a traumatic childhood event that has caused them to act this way.
Effects Of Narcissistic Relationship
Having any kind of relationship with someone who is narcissistic can be hard. If you are dating someone, then you need to make sure that they will not be jealous. They will want a lot of attention from you because they feel like they don’t get enough. If you are friends with them, it can be hard to get them to see your side of things. They always think they are right and everyone else is wrong.
Narcissists often have a lot of drama in their lives because they can’t keep relationships going for very long. They also lash out at people when they don’t get what they want.
Treating a Narcissistic Relationship
If you are in a relationship with someone who is narcissistic, then it can be hard to deal with them and their moods. To treat this disorder, the person would need therapy or medication for depression or anxiety disorders. Sometimes people end up dating another narcissist because of the lack of empathy they have. If this is the case, then it can be hard to break away from the relationship.
If you are in a narcissistic relationship, know that you are not alone. There are people who care about you and want to help. Seek out professional help if you need it and don’t be afraid to talk to your friends about it.
Helping Someone Who Is In A Narcissistic Relationship
If you know someone who is in a narcissistic relationship, then there are things that you can do to help them.
- You can talk to them about how they are feeling and let them know that you support them.
- You can also encourage them to seek professional help.
- Narcissists often have low self-esteem and don’t think that they are worthy of help. Let them know that you are there for them, and they will be able to get better.
- The key is being patient with the person who has narcissistic personality disorder because it takes time to recover from this disorder. If someone gets into a bad relationship, then it can make their condition worse. Be supportive of whoever you love or care about so that they can get the help they need.
A narcissist is someone who has an excessive interest in themselves and a lack of empathy for others. Narcissists can be charming, outgoing, or superficially friendly but they are unable to maintain healthy relationships with people outside of their own needs and desires.
When we dedicate all our energy to meeting the demands of a person without taking care of ourselves it’s likely that we will become depleted and resentful – so if you’re not sure whether your partner might be narcissistic then ask yourself these questions: Do I feel like my thoughts don’t matter? Am I constantly trying to figure out what he/she wants me to do? Does this person often make fun of other people’s expenses? If you answered yes more than once there may be a reason to worry. Narcissists are happy in relationships where they have more power. They keep doing bad things to themselves because they love someone. That is not good. It’s important to be mindful of how you are treating yourself and not put up with behavior that doesn’t serve you just because you love someone.
A Word From Mantra Care
Your mental health — your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
Also, at Mantra Care, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can take our mental health test. You can also book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.