- 1 What Is Emotional Sensitivity?
- 2 Types Of Sensitivity
- 3 Reasons “Why I Am So Sensitive”
- 4 How To Deal With Being Sensitive?
- 5 Ways To Become More Resilient
- 6 Ways To Overcome Being So Sensitive
- 7 Is Being Sensitive Means Being Weak?
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 A Word From Mantra Care
What Is Emotional Sensitivity?
In a world in which we are constantly exposed to a barrage of information. It is no wonder that many people feel bombarded by their emotions. You must have thought “why am I so sensitive” at least at one point of time in your life. In order to cope with the daily stressors of the modern world. It is important to take care of your mental health and focus on self-care. One way to do this is by learning why you get so sensitive. And how you can work towards becoming more resilient.
Sensitivity can be broadly defined as the way in which we react to stimuli. This can include both our physical and emotional reactions. Many people feel overwhelmed by their emotions because they are constantly bombarded with information. In the modern world, it is important to learn how to deal with being sensitive and becoming more resilient.
Types Of Sensitivity
There are different types of sensitivity, and each person experiences sensitivity differently. Some of the most common types of sensitivity include emotional sensitivity, social sensitivity, and sensory processing sensitivity.
- Emotional sensitivity refers to our ability to feel emotions intensely.
- Social sensitivity is the tendency to be aware of others’ feelings and take them into account when interacting with them.
- Sensory processing sensitivity is the heightened awareness of environmental stimuli.
Reasons “Why I Am So Sensitive”
There are many reasons why someone might be sensitive. It can be due to a traumatic experience, genetics, or simply the way someone is wired. Some people are more sensitive because they are emotionally expressive and feel everything deeply. Others may be socially sensitive and constantly aware of others’ feelings. And finally, some people may have a heightened awareness of their surroundings due to sensory processing sensitivity.
I am an empath
I am an empath. This means that I am highly sensitive to the emotions of others. I often feel overwhelmed by the negative emotions of people around me, and I find it difficult to cope with stress. In order to take care of my mental health, I need to be aware of why I get so sensitive and learn how to become more resilient.
I am Aware Of Emotions Of Others
I have social sensitivity. This means that I am always aware of the emotions of people around me and how they might affect them. When someone is sad or upset, I feel their feelings as if they were my own. It is important to take care of my mental health and not allow others’ negativity to affect me too much.
My Senses Are High
I have SPD. This means that I find noise and other stimuli overwhelming sometimes because my senses are more sensitive than other people’s. In order to keep me calm and content, I often need to wear earplugs when in crowded spaces or wear sunglasses in bright sunlight. So that the stimuli are not too overwhelming for me.
How To Deal With Being Sensitive?
It is important to understand why you get so sensitive in order to deal with it. One way of dealing with sensitivity is by learning about the different kinds of sensitivity that people experience. It is also helpful to do something that calms you down when you are overwhelmed by your emotions, such as meditating or taking deep breaths. Finally, it can be useful to surround yourself with supportive people who understand and accept your feelings.
Recognize That You’re Sensitive And Why
We often tend to go through life without realizing how sensitive we actually are. If someone has an emotionally expressive personality, it is important to take the time to understand why they get overwhelmed by their emotions so quickly. Once you have identified your reasons for being sensitive, it will be easier to find ways to become more resilient.
Take Care Of Your Mental Health
Maintaining good mental health is vital when you are dealing with the sensitivities of yourself or others around you. Taking care of your mind through mindfulness, meditation, and therapy helps to keep it healthy so that negative emotions do not take over too much.
Develop A Strong Circle Of Friends
It is very important to have a strong support system in place for all sensitive people. Sometimes we need somebody who will be understanding about our sensitivities and empathize with us rather than judge us because we are different from others.
Avoid People Who Drag You Down
The most important step in becoming less sensitive is to avoid being around people who have a negative effect on you. Whether it be someone constantly criticizing your choices or a friend that constantly puts down your feelings, having a strong support network is crucial to keep the negativity away.
Practice Mindfulness Daily
Developing mindfulness helps with emotional awareness and learning how to cope with stress. The best way to do this is by practicing mindfulness meditation daily for ten minutes. This will help you become less overwhelmed when the time comes when something does make you feel bad about yourself or sad about others. Because you will learn how to deal with those emotions in an appropriate manner.
Cut Down On Caffeine, Alcohol, And Other Stimulants
Drinking caffeinated drinks such as coffee or cola can cause anxiety and make it difficult to sleep. Limit the amount of caffeine you drink in a day to avoid feeling jittery or restless. Alcohol can also cause hangovers that leave us feeling fatigued the next day, which makes it even more important for us to get enough shut-eye.
Ways To Become More Resilient
Resilience can be defined as someone having a positive attitude and persistence in life despite difficult circumstances. In other words, it means bouncing back from challenges and becoming stronger because of them instead of feeling defeated. Learning about yourself and what makes you feel overwhelmed will help you become more resilient. By learning about your feelings and triggers, you can take steps to overcome them. For example, if one of the things that make you feel overwhelmed is being around a lot of people. You can work on coping strategies to deal with this problem. Another way of becoming more resilient is by surrounding yourself with supportive friends. Who accepts your sensitivity instead of trying to hide it or change it.
Ways To Overcome Being So Sensitive
Sensitivity can be a challenging thing to deal with, especially in the modern world. Here are some ways that you can overcome being so sensitive:
- Understand why you get so sensitive. This can help you learn how to cope with your feelings.
- Find supportive friends who accept your sensitivity and are willing to help you deal with it.
- Learn about the different types of sensitivity that people experience. This can help you understand and cope with your own sensitivities better.
- Take deep breaths or meditate when you feel overwhelmed by your emotions.
- Write in a journal to express your feelings and thoughts.
- Go for a walk when you need to clear your head or process your emotions.
- Surround yourself with supportive people who understand and accept you for who you are. This can help you feel safe and accepted, both of which are vital to mental health and wellness.
- Learn about resilience and healthy coping strategies like those listed above (writing in a journal, deep breathing, etc.). These will help you bounce back from challenges instead of feeling defeated by them.
- Allow yourself to feel your feelings without judgment, guilt, or shame; this may sound simple but it is not as easy as it sounds! Sometimes we judge ourselves for how we feel because we think that the way we feel is wrong/bad/unacceptable; if you find yourself thinking like this stop and remember that it is completely okay to feel the way you do.
- Seek therapy if you are struggling to overcome your sensitivities on your own; this can be very beneficial in helping yourself grow and heal.
- Remember that you are not alone. There are many people with similar feelings and experiences as yours. So don’t ever feel like you’re the only one going through what you’re experiencing because that’s simply not true! You are loved and supported no matter who you are or how much time passes by; opening up can be difficult but it will help build trust between yourself and another person, which is vital for mental health and wellness.
- Remember that everyone has their own struggles to deal with so instead of judging yourself for your sensitivities, try to be understanding of others.
- Embrace all that being sensitive has to offer you; being sensitive is not a bad thing! It means that you are able to feel things more deeply than some- this can be great if you’re an artist, writer, etc. Since it allows you to explore the world around you differently and create beautiful pieces of art/literature.
- Remember that there are so many people who understand what being so sensitive is like and they want to support you no matter what! Don’t forget about all the ways listed above on how to cope with your sensitivity because they are all very helpful in overcoming it! Your emotions are valid no matter what anyone says; it is okay to feel the way you do, and there are people who love you for that.
Is Being Sensitive Means Being Weak?
Emotions can be very hard to deal with at times, but they are an important part of human nature. If you find yourself overwhelmed by your emotions remember all the ways listed above on how to cope with them (write bullet points). Letting emotions take over your life is never a good thing; they are meant to make us feel alive. Embrace all of your emotions instead of trying to rid yourself of them altogether. Your sensitivities show so much about who you are as a person- embrace them and allow yourself to grow from your experiences. Rather than shying away from them because they will only hold you back in the long run.
- If you are struggling to overcome your sensitivities on your own, consider seeking therapy.
- Feelings are valid no matter what anyone says; it is okay to feel the way you do, and there are people who love you for that.
- You don’t have to be “over” your emotions in order to not let them overwhelm you; just remember all of the ways listed above on how to cope with overwhelming emotions/feelings!
- Don’t force yourself to surround yourself with certain types of people. Sometimes surrounding yourself with supportive people can make a huge difference in mental health and wellness.
- Just because someone is “sensitive” does not mean they are weak. And just because someone is “strong” does not mean that they can’t be sensitive.
- You shouldn’t feel the need to “get over” your sensitivities by yourself; there are many people who understand what being so sensitive means/feels like and want to support you no matter what!
- Be careful when opening up about your sensitivities, otherwise, you could face judgment from others.
It is important to understand why we get so sensitive in order for us to cope with daily stressors in the modern world. One way to do this is by learning about different types of sensitivity and how they affect you personally. It also helps to find supportive friends who are aware of these sensitivities and are willing to help you deal with them.
There are many ways that we can take care of ourselves when dealing with sensitivities. It is important not to feel bad about ourselves because of who we are. Instead, we need to focus on how our sensitivities affect others around us and what steps we need to take in order to enjoy a life free from stress.
By learning about what makes you get so sensitive. It becomes easier for you to overcome your fears and work towards becoming more resilient. This allows us to live happier, healthier lives that are less affected by the challenges of daily life.
A Word From Mantra Care
Your mental health — your psychological, emotional, and social well-being — has an impact on every aspect of your life. Positive mental health essentially allows you to effectively deal with life’s everyday challenges.
At Mantra Care, we have a team of therapists who provide affordable online therapy to assist you with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, relationship, OCD, LGBTQ, and PTSD. You can take our mental health test. You can also book a free therapy or download our free Android or iOS app.